- The posters submitted must correspond to original productions/scientific research.
- Each registration can only submit one poster. If the poster has multiple authors, one
of them must be chosen asthe presenting author and assigned asresponsible for the
- To submit the poster, the responsible author must take the following steps:
- Register in the event (mandatory). If you prefer to register only after
confirmation of the acceptance of your poster, there will be a special
registration period for you to do so.
- Send the abstract via email to email@example.com, until 23:59h of the
23rd of March considering the following:
- The email's subject should be "Poster abstract - [contestant's full name]".
- The abstract must have no more than 600 words.
- There should be no illustrations, diagrams, charts, algorithms or any other
- The abstract must be written in English.
Abstracts sent after the deadline and/or not meeting the above requirements will not be accepted
Members of the event’s Organizing Committee are not allowed to enter the contest
nor can they be co-authors of any submitted work.
The number of accepted posters will be limited to 15.
The contest will only be held if 8 or more posters are submitted to competition. In
the event of cancellation, all contestants will be duly notified.
The submitted works will be assessed by the organization and undergo an initial
triage process to assure quality and adequacy to the event's theme. Authors whose
work is admitted for presentation will be notified before the event, lessthan a week
after the deadline for abstract submission (17th March 2017).
Paper format delivery
Posters admitted for presentations must be printed (size A0) and delivered at the
event's reception desk upon registration on the first day of the event, 8th of April.
Oral presentation and evaluation
Every poster that passesthe initial triage process must be presented to the audience
and jury for evaluation on the 8th of April, at 15:30h, during the Poster Pitch Session.
During the Poster Walk (8th of April at 16:00h and Sunday at 10:15h), contestants
are required to be by their posters and answer eventual questions from the jury.
Presentations are to be made in English and should last no longer than 2 minutes.
The jury will be composed of the members of the Symposium's Scientific Committee
and speakers of the event. Expert members might be invited in case the
works submitted prove to require specialised assessment that falls out of the
Scientific Committee’s scope of expertise. The area of the submitted work
(Biomedical Engineering, Molecular Biotechnology or Biological Engineering) will be
taken into account in the constitution of the jury.
If the responsible author failsto attend any of the evaluation moments, his/her work
will be automatically disqualified.
Results and prizes
Results of the Poster Contest will be publicly announced during the Closing Session,
on the 9th of April.
The jury’s decision is final.
The winning author will be awarded 100€ in cash.
The Scientific Committee is to assign each poster submitted to one or more of the
three fields: Molecular Biotechnology, Biomedical Engineering or Biological
Engineering, according to the subject(s) at hand. The criteria to score the posters
will be the following:
For each poster:
- Scientific merit: assessment of the quality of the work with regard to the
author’s age and/or experience and/or prior training and education. It is
an equalizing criterion that intends to standardise the sophistication of
the work according to the level of sophistication expected for the author.
- Novelty: measure of the originality of the work developed within the area; it
has to do essentially with the scientific creativity. It scores up to what point
the work stands out or, on the other hand, is a repetition of the state of the
art in the field.
- Scientific rigour: evaluation of the rigour of the methodology and validity of
the results and conclusions.
- Pitch: evaluation of the presenting author’s ability to communicate
scientific content in a concise and coherent way. Posture, fluidity, speech
correction and general orality fit in this criterion.
- Poster: graphical and visual appeal, writing clarity and correction of the
After these calculations, each criterion will be worth 20% of the poster’s final score.
- Criteria i to iii are to be scored only by the members of the Scientific
Committee belonging to the field to which the poster has been assigned. The
final score for each of the criteria will be calculated as the mean
average of these scores.
- Criteria iv and v are to be assessed by all members of the juri. Similarly, the final score for each of the criteria will be
calculated as the mean average of the score assigned by all members.
Núcleo de Estudantes de Bioengenharia – FEUP/ICBAS reserves the right to
amend these terms and conditions without prior notice. Eventual amendments will be
publicly announced, in the Symposium's Facebook Page
(https://www.facebook.com/symposiumbioengineering/) , and communicated by e-mail to
already enrolled contestants.
Should you have any questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
under the subject “Poster Contest Question”.